Friday, July 22, 2016

Boring Life Update

Life lately hasn't been too different. I've been working. Although my hours are significantly cut next week, which I'm not too stoked about. It'll be nice to have a little break, but the lack of money sucks. Apparently, nurseries are dead in the summer. Who knew? For me, now it's obvious, but to most people it's not. "It's just too hot to plant." I've neglected the garden. I tried to weed it some today, but I didn't get all of it. My spring flowering perennials have burned to a crisp. I tried to find out online if this is normal or just lack of care, but I couldn't find anything out. I'll have to ask someone at work. I'm going to have to plan better next year, instead of just buying whatever catches my eye. But, I know myself too well to know that's not going to work. I find a lot of things beautiful and it's hard to limit myself. You can't have it all.

ANYWAY, as you know I've been thinking about going back to school. As you also may know, Daniel and I had planned to open a home brew supply store. However, as of today, we both decided we're not ready for it. Right now, Daniel is going through what I've gone through for most of my life: finding where you fit in the world. I believe I've finally found my calling. Since I was a child, my biggest fear in life was not being able to find a career. Weird right? I was never that girl that dreamed of being whisked away by Prince Charming and living happily ever after. Husbands and kids were never something I really thought about. I believe that has something to do with the way I grew up. We grew up very poor. My parents divorced when I was 4-5 ish. My mom for the most part raised the three of us as a single parent. She dated here and there, and we were "getting by." Until my step-dad came along when I was 9, and really took us on as his own. But before then, I learned you can't rely on anybody but yourself. You have to put yourself (and kids if you have them) first. I believe it follows Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. My young brain was programmed to realize that safety (place to live and money to support yourself) come first.

If you've been following my blogs or know me personally, you would know that I have an Associate's Degree in business administration and am a state licensed hair designer. However, I have am not particularly interested in either one. And I absolutely have no interest in hair. That was honestly my biggest regret in life. I've been trying to find where I "fit in" in the world. And long story short, I believe I've found it with plants/horticulture. It's been so comfortable and "right" feeling. But it's been a journey full of wasted time and money. But I guess that's life. Live and learn. But, if I decide to go back to school, my business degree won't go to complete waste. I can put my classes towards my new degree and it will take half the time. But to be fair, I didn't have much to pay for my business degree. I had a scholarship that paid for most of my school (thank you HOPE). And it should still pay for the majority of my school if I choose to go back.

Coming back to my original point, Daniel is going through what I've been going through and is trying to find where he fits into the world career wise. In the spring, it's possible we'll both be going back to school together. For him, most likely IT/networking. He's a computer guy. That's what his friends do and are decently paid to do it. I really feel it's a good, solid fit for him. I'm really proud of him. I know it's taken a lot for him to hold off the business for now. But neither of us are ready for it. I honestly think it's the best for us and our future family. We'll see what the future holds, but for right now, I think we're headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu

Popular Posts

Followers

Search This Blog

Blogroll