Monday, February 17, 2014

Succulents

So some of you may or may not know this about me, but I love succulents and cacti. I think I finally figured out why: they relax me. I love watching them grow and seeing the new things they do. I actually get feelings for them, as weird as that sounds. Like I was genuinely sad when a few of them died (due to lack of sunlight). But I'm slowly learning which ones work and which ones don't for my house (it's been a painful process).


But anyway, I just bought 3 new ones today. I'm a bit sad though, because once I got home and did some research about one of them (3rd pictured), I discovered it was severly etiolated. Etiolated means that it stretches and becomes thin, due to lack of sufficient sunlight. Basically, once the branches and leaves begin to do that, there's no turning back for that branch. So I'm basically going to have to wait for it all to grow back in again, because 98% of the plant is like that. Also, the other plant I bought was like that about 40% (1st pictured), but I believe that one will grow back quickly. I knew it was etiolated when I bought it, but tried to pick the one with the least amount. I really wanted that particular one.

This is what the plant is supposed to look like:



It doesn't even look like the same plant. I actually thought they labeled it wrong on the tag, but its just that stretched out. So I'm hoping that one will grow back fast now that it's getting better sunlight. I actually just went ahead and put them outside since they're all more hardy than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu

Popular Posts

Followers

Search This Blog

Blogroll